Credit Card Debt

A-Rich

The 47 Ronin
In my attempts to help spark up some chit chat, I tend to bring up my own embarrassments.
I read statistics saying something like the average household credit card debt is $15k, but that doesn't really say what's high vs "sell your kids" crazy high since it's averaging the highs & lows.
Might be a fun poll question, but it's not something most people want to talk about.

Am I the only one with over $40k in CC debt? :p I wish I were joking. If so, and I'm pretty sure I might be, I'll just leave that there to make you guys feel better about your own current situations. It's like watching Hoarders and saying, "ok my place isn't that much of a dump!"

About 1/3 of it was medical bills, and the other 2/3 was unwise choices. I so love this skit:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/dont-buy-stuff/n12020

Time to donate to 47R! :D

kaM

The 47 Ronin
The most I've ever had is right now and since I'm not fully working, it's sitting around $2100. The average I would say after working at a large credit card company would be around $7-$10k

I've always hated credit cards. I usually don't charge more than 400$ a month, and I pay it off every month. I don't like owing "the man" anything. And it's a lot easier not to spend money when you don't have kids.

FuZion

The 47 Ronin
Hmm, I usually rotate on 2k-3k in CC debt and just pay off from that and add it as my monthly cost. I recently purchased a couch/washer/dryer/ new monitor/new tv which cost me about 7k which put me up to 10k in cc debt this year but I paid 8k of it in 2 months to just bring it back down so I wasn't paying too high of interest. I think 40k is a lot, I can understand though with medical bills, that can rack up very quickly and is not an embarrassment, just our horrible system.

After working over in the middle east I realized I really just don't like being in debt unless its like for a house. I wont buy a car for a very very long time until I get my engineering job. Then my dream GTR will be finally mine. And don't doubt me, I will buy my 90k car before my house. IDGAF! I'll live in that bitch haha.

kaM

The 47 Ronin
Hmm, I usually rotate on 2k-3k in CC debt and just pay off from that and add it as my monthly cost. I recently purchased a couch/washer/dryer/ new monitor/new tv which cost me about 7k which put me up to 10k in cc debt this year but I paid 8k of it in 2 months to just bring it back down so I wasn't paying too high of interest. I think 40k is a lot, I can understand though with medical bills, that can rack up very quickly and is not an embarrassment, just our horrible system.

After working over in the middle east I realized I really just don't like being in debt unless its like for a house. I wont buy a car for a very very long time until I get my engineering job. Then my dream GTR will be finally mine. And don't doubt me, I will buy my 90k car before my house. IDGAF! I'll live in that bitch haha.
I've seen 10k miles GTRs for 60k. Pretty good deal IMO. Figure put down 10 grand, that's only like $900 a month

Hunter

The 47 Ronin
Fack! I used to have no CC debt, only mortgage.
Now, my CC debt is climbing, hitting 10K if that's make you happy :) w00t!!!

S-Dawg

The 47 Ronin
Hot damn, my personal finance alarms are going off for you guys right now. I'm usually around 700-1500 CC debt a month, but i pay it off every month. I still have a number of payments left for my wedding so I'm budgeting hard.

d00b

The 47 Ronin
I think the worst debt I've been in was when I still owed around 4K on my ex wifes ring and was recently divorced and purchased a nice ass gaming laptop, spilled beer all over it, fried it, went to best buy like the next day and dropped another 1500ish on another one. And then I spilled beer on that one, but luckily only fried the keyboard haha. And in case you wondered, she gave me the 5K dollar ring back.

A-Rich

The 47 Ronin
Impressive guys, good job! I'm actually really glad those that have replied so far are on top of it. I'm now paid way more than I'm worth and am paying debit only now, so it'll get worked down slowly but surely. Definitely something that would've been done differently if I could go back in time though. :) Hindsight's 20/20.