PINNED photographer's Section.........Stay on topic please.

-L-

The 47 Ronin
If you pros out there would take a moment to look at this link. It is a list of lenses I believe to be a good start. Just wondering what your thoughts are. I use a Canon 60D.

http://amzn.com/w/3ULYOOJTKVX1M
Can't say your list didnt show :/ try again?

Lighting Set Up:

For this photo I tried some new editing techniques I picked up recently. I used Curves to dodge and burn which I picked up from Clay Cooks recent live edit. I also used frequency separation for some skin clean up instead of clone stamp. The model wore 2 blue contacts and I changed the color of the eye from blue to brown (this is due to something that occurred in the story)
Cosplayer: Yuks General
Series: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Character: Syaoran Li

Current FB Cover Photo

-L-

The 47 Ronin
try now, forgot to set up as public.
The grip is definitely a must buy, stick to brand name (canon in your case) for this one (battery as well) they make it good. price seems good (not sure if the memory card holder is needed tho) not a fan of the bottom screw to be used for hand strap. I picked up the Canon E2 Handstrap and took it off the screw and looped directly to camera instead (there may have been a 2nd reason why I did this at the time but not sure. I think i did it cause the camera strap i used at the time also made use of the bottom screw and having another there was just too much. would recommend pick this up as well. Custom SLR Strap

For the len's think about what you want to shoot before buying the type of lens you pick up can sway the buy for you.
Think to yourself thing like: Do I need 100-400? Keep in mind you are shooting on a crop sensor and you will end up shooting at 160mm-640mm. Unless you are doing wildlife, sports, or stargazing is that barrel ask yourself is that barrel worth it (also its extremely heavy!)

The 50 and 85 are both great portrait lens but again remember the zoom factors. part of me wishes i have the 50 or 85 so I can achieve that kick ass bokeh but cant afford it. I shoot with a 35mm EF lens good walk around lens note the bokeh may not be as great as the other two.

100mm dude I'll sell you mine lol 400 bucks + shipping. Picked it up thinking I would do macro.... Nope. I still use it once ina while when I do portraits but i picked up a 70-200 sigma recently so not used as much.

I have noticed the 100mm takes cleaner photos sometimes vs my 70-200. Any prime is cleaner actually they are always a great pick up.

10-22mm EFS KEEP IN MIND this is an efs lens, if you plan to upgrade to a full frame camera EFS lens will not work on full frame bodies. EFS series were made to compensate for the crop sensor and a cheaper alternative people can shoot to their wide angle equivalents. To understand Crop vs full frame click here

There is the option of third party lens too ie Sigma and Tamron, note Yongnuo recently announced their play into third party lens too with a cheaper 50mm to rival canon's cheap nifty 50mm.

Before buying you have the option of testing out lens (something I really regret not doing when I first bought a lens through craigslist to get a feel on how a lens should feel and if it fits your style) You can go to a local camera shop and usually rentals are possible.

Also if you afford all that props...

Feel free to add me on FB we can discuss more there. My photo should be the same as the one I posted in the 47R posted in the Picture Thread. Look up Jeffrey Villar. If you cant find me (i may have seach blocked) send me a message here: FB.com/Jeproxshots

Last edited:

mclovin

Can't say your list didnt show :/ try again?

Lighting Set Up:

For this photo I tried some new editing techniques I picked up recently. I used Curves to dodge and burn which I picked up from Clay Cooks recent live edit. I also used frequency separation for some skin clean up instead of clone stamp. The model wore 2 blue contacts and I changed the color of the eye from blue to brown (this is due to something that occurred in the story)
Cosplayer: Yuks General
Series: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Character: Syaoran Li

Current FB Cover Photo
those are some amazing photo's man, nice editing. how long does one shot take to edit for example?

and when i visit cali where can i visit all these girlies?

-L-

The 47 Ronin
those are some amazing photo's man, nice editing. how long does one shot take to edit for example?
Thanks man,

My workflow isn't the most efficient so it's never the same and depends on the type of photo, didn't help i was trying new techniques to edit. I worked on this for maybe 12hr roughly over course of 1.5 days (I say 1.5 cause my sleep schedule is fucked)

and when i visit cali where can i visit all these girlies?
If you be creeping like that id rather not say lol

mclovin

Thanks man,

My workflow isn't the most efficient so it's never the same and depends on the type of photo, didn't help i was trying new techniques to edit. I worked on this for maybe 12hr roughly over course of 1.5 days (I say 1.5 cause my sleep schedule is fucked)

If you be creeping like that id rather not say lol
wow you stay on that for 12 hours? thats what i do gaming... props to you mr. villar. i enjoy your work, also your models.

Aion

The 47 Ronin
If you pros out there would take a moment to look at this link. It is a list of lenses I believe to be a good start. Just wondering what your thoughts are. I use a Canon 60D.

http://amzn.com/w/3ULYOOJTKVX1M
Hey bud, it really depends on what you gonna use it for. As for me, i will use 85mm and 50mm for portrait. I dont know about 100-400mm unless u gonna. Use it for sports or wild life. 10-22mm not so much. The grip definitely. Oh and also get a flash. Sigma 500dg or 530dg will do the job.

My walk around lens that i use is 18-135mm stm. Very good walk around and very good on taking videos.

Let me know what your use maybe i can give you more info.

Sample shot of my daughter.

Attachments

Acumeon

The 47 Ronin
ty, Aion and -L-

Most of my pics will be of people ( portrait and sports) and wildlife. The lens I use mostly is the Canon EFS 18-135. Happy with the pics this lens produces. It is an easy lens to use. The other lens that came with this setup was an Canon EFS 55-250. Not happy with this lens. Image contrast seems poor. Shooting sports is difficult with this lens. Focus is slow and aperture is too narrow. Added the Canon 600 EX-RT when the camera was purchased. The flash seems more than adequate at lighting everything is has been needed for. Really like the remote flash ability. Also got the IR remote. It is okay. Wish they used BT instead of IR.

I have not done a lot of research on other lens brands. I know Sigma has quality lenses. The other lenses you mentioned, though, I know nothing about. Would be willing to use another brand if it shoots a good pic for the price.

Speaking of price, it is not an issue, however, I do not need pro lenses. From what I have read the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM fits my need for outdoor and sports shots. Landscapes are good once an 1.4x extender is used. I am in doors many times at close ranges with low lighting, so figured the 50 and 85 would fit well in this environment. Was going to continue using the 18-135 for general purposes. The only spec that has been an issue with this lens is its f/3.5 -5.6 when zoomed. Would like the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM later when I'm better with the camera.

Was also wondering about tripods and monopods as well as filters. Will take any suggestions you may have especially on the filters. Would like to get some sky pics with the sun.

Aion

The 47 Ronin
Well so far u got the basics. Canon makes very good prime lenses. 50 and 85 would be very good addition. 70-200 is great too.

For me i use manfrotto tripod with ballhead. I find that ballheads are easy and quick to adjust. As for filter i use BW circular polarizer. If you want to get that blue sky effect. Theres graduated ones too. Like half grey half clear if you going to do long exposures like sunsets.

Heres a sample shot of blue sky

Attachments

Acumeon

The 47 Ronin
Nice example pic. That is what i'm looking to do sky, sunset and moon pics. Will hopefully be doing some astrophotography soon, as well. Guess filter qualities are all close so it doesn't matter what maker you choose?

I was looking at the ballheads. The do seem to be quick and easy to adjust.

Thank you for your time.